The Daily Drop - Two Great Wines Under €15
- Lombeline Sauvignon Blanc 2014, Vin de Loire - 12% €10.50-11.00 Available from La Touche, Greystones; Jus de Vine, Portmarnock; McCabes, Blackrock & Foxrock; Rua, Castelbar; Liston’s, Camden St. Herby, grassy aromas and fresh clean green fruits with a nice zesty kick. Before dinner, with fishy starters or mild goat’s cheese salad. Lombeline is selected by Charles Derain, former sommelier at Patrick Guilbaud, and […]
- Tesco’s Finest Montepulciano d’Abruzzo La Francese 2013 - 13% €12 Available from Tesco Light juicy dark cherry and plum fruits with a nice freshness. A great all-purpose wine, but I imagine this would go very nicely with pizza as well as lighter meat pasta dishes. I remember meeting Gatene Carron back in the late 1990’s (both she and I were very young then!). […]
The Top Drop - Two Great Wines Over €15
- El Grano Chardonnay 2012, Poda Corta, Curico Valley (Organic) - €15.90 Available from Le Caveau, Kilkenny; Baggot Street Wines; Blackrock Cellar; 64 wine, Glasthule; Green Man Wines, Terenure. Very nicely textured wine with subtle toast, grilled nuts and tasty ripe tropical fruits. With lightly spicy chicken or prawns. Chile produces some pretty good Chardonnay, but its not every day that a proprietor pulls you over […]
- Tenute Dettori Vino Renosu Rosso NV, Sardinia - €17.50 Available from 64wine, Glasthule. A fascinating and intriguing wine – warm, earthy and herby, with soft ripe red fruits – plush and rounded yet light and elegant at the same time. It tasted even better the next day. I imagine something Italian and homely – sausages with lentils or beans Allessandro Dettori, based on […]
- Irish Craft Beer festival 2015 - The Irish Craft Beer festival returns to the RDS from 27th-29th August with over 50 Irish beer and cider producers showing more than 200 Irish drinks. There will be plenty of Irish food producers on hand to provide sustenance at the premium beer event of the year. See www.irishcraftbeerfestival.com for details.
- Ely Big Wine Tasting - The Ely Wine Bar autumn Big Wine Tasting will take place on Friday 18th September in Ely Bar & brasserie, chq. Tickets for this eagerly anticipated event will go on sale online (www.elywinebar.com) from 10.00 on 28th August. Do not delay booking – last year they sold out within 48 hours! The tasting will feature […]