The Daily Drop - Two Great Wines Under €15
- Aldi The Exquisite Collection Crozes-Hermitage 2013 - 12.5% €12.99 This is pretty good,and almost excellent if you like the Northern Rhône. It has very good elegant lifted peppery syrah aromas, light on the palate, and a drying finish. If it had a touch more fruit I would say brilliant; as it is not bad at all. One to try with cold meats, […]
- Aldi Ch. de Champtelou Anjou Rouge 2014 - €7.99 12% In the Aldi French Wine Sale from 3rd September Pale in colour with light cherry fruits and a slightly sweetish finish. Good everyday drinking at a budget price. I had mine by itself before dinner and with an omelette. This is the kind of inexpensive red wine that I normally like; a Loire […]
The Top Drop - Two Great Wines Over €15
- Solo Fiano 2014, Michele Biancardi, Puglia - 13% €16.75/£10.95 Available from JNwine.com Quite delicious plump peachy fruits with a touch of honey and spice. I had mine with some grilled sea bass, but most plain fish dishes would do nicely. Fiano di Avellino is probably the best-known example of this variety, and they can be excellent. Ampelographers speculate that it may be […]
- Ottomarzo 2012, Tenute Dettori, IGP Romangia Rosso, Sardinia - Ottomarzo 2012, Tenute Dettori, IGP Romangia Rosso 14.5% €29.50 Available from 64wine, Glasthule Stunning wine. Mellow ripe soft dark fruits with hints of liquorice, warm earth and herbs; full and rounded, voluptuous and warming with real complexity. I would suspect this would go nicely with most red meat dishes. I had mine with roast autumn […]
- Ely Big Wine Tasting - The Ely Wine Bar autumn Big Wine Tasting will take place on Friday 18th September in Ely Bar & brasserie, chq. Tickets for this eagerly anticipated event will go on sale online (www.elywinebar.com) from 10.00 on 28th August. Do not delay booking – last year they sold out within 48 hours! The tasting will feature […]
- Dublin Coffee & Tea Festival 2015 - The second Dublin Coffee & Tea Festival 2015 takes place this year in the RDS, Dublin (Industries Hall) from 11-13th September. Almost 6,000 visitors flocked to the inaugural Festival last year to taste coffee and tea from a host of importers, retailers and other specialists. See www.dublincoffeefestival.com for details.